Due to implant material, techniques and technological developments, the completion time for conventional dental implants has now been cut short from 8 months to 3 months.
In cases where bone condition and density are favourable, dental implants can now be embedded after tooth extraction. Such techniques being referred to as immediate implants, one-day implants, single day implants or same day implants. This means that the patient have new tooth roots upon leaving the office.
Immediate Loaded Implants
In addition, for certain cases, permanent or temporary prosthetics may be loaded immediately during the same treatment visit when the dental implants are surgical placed. This is know asimmediate loaded implants. The immediate loading of dental implants shortens the treatment time and makes it possible to give the patient an esthetic appearance.
Benefits of Immediate Loaded Implants
- Immediately functioning teeth
- Good esthetic results
- Shorter treatment time with minimized pain
Immediate Loaded Dental Implants Procedure
The treatment procedure and steps for immediate loaded implants are the same as that for conventional implants, the main difference being that the temporary crown or bridge is loaded onto the implants after its surgical placement.
- First evaluation and x-ray to determine implant site and bone condition
- Implant site preparation
- Placing the implant and installing the temporary crowns or bridges
- Placing the permanent crown or bridge
Immediate loaded implants does not apply to all cases and is dependent on the individual’s bone quality and condition.
Following placement of the artificial roots in the jaw, the bone may be sore and the surrounding gums tender and swollen. Patients are, however, able to go about their normal daily activities a day after surgery avoiding any rigorous physical exercises or activities.
For your immediate loaded implants, the same postcare instructions apply as that of conventional dental implants. Dental implants require the same care as real teeth, including brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups.
Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria for Immediate Implants and Immediate Loaded Implants
Below is a list of some of the inclusion/ exclusion criteria for immediate implants and immediate loaded implants. This list is non-exhausive and its feasiblity is also dependent on the judgement of your implantologist on an individualized case basis.
- If you have a fractured or decayed tooth that needs to be extracted, a dental implant may be placed at the time of the tooth extraction. However, if your fractured or decayed tooth is infected, immediate dental implant placement is not advisable. There should be no apical disorder or inflammation at the area of the implant site.
- Good bone quality and quantity is required for immediate implants to be successful, thus immediate implants and immediate loaded may not be applicable to all cases. Different bone volume and density and preparation techniques will influence the level of stability.
- The patient should be healthy and compliant with good oral hygiene.
- Other criterias include having good gingival/ periodontal or periapical status of adjacent teeth as well as favourable and stable occlusal relationship.
As with any procedure, it is always important to consult with your dental specialists on whether a particular treatments such as immediate implant and immediate loaded implants are suitable for you.